Are your nails damaged? Do they break easily? Or do you want to reinforce them to give them extra strength? Looking for a durable manicure? If you answered yes to any of those questions then you’ll love silk wrap nails!
In this post, we’ll tell you all that you have to know about silk wrap nails. We’ll go over Silk Wrap Nails Pros and Cons, the details on how their applied and removed, and the times when they are most useful.
What Are Silk Wrap Nails?
Silk wrap nails are just that: nails with small pieces of silk wrapped around them. This process is ideal for shorter nails, and is used to help keep their strength. However, these nail wraps can also be used with longer nails and can be shaped. The process can also be used to add length to the nails to some extent, but it doesn’t add as much as compared to other methods.
To keep the silk wraps in place, an adhesive is used. Additionally, a resin can also be used to further improve the strength of the nail.
They are great for nail repairs in situations such as having a broken or split nail. Silk wrap nails reinforce the natural nail and make the nail look more aesthetically pleasing.
Here’s a great video that shows the basics of how Silk Wrap Nails work.
History Of Silk Wraps
Since the 1920s, manicurists have been using wrapping materials to reinforce the nail such as tea bags and coffee filters. A further look back tells rumors about Egyptians using paper to reinforce the nails.
It was in the 1980s when wrapped nails were finally popularized in the US by the brand Linen Batiste Nails. Shortly after that their introduction in 1983, Harper’s Bazar recommends using silk wraps for women who have a hard time naturally growing long nails.
Silk Wrap Nails Pros and Cons
Silk wraps are not new. They have been in use for years, though they are now making a comeback for a variety of reasons. Let’s look at the pros and cons of this system:
The Pros of Silk Wraps
Strengthens The Nail
One of the main reasons to use silk wraps for nails is for added strength. The silk wrap adds structure to the nail and the resin helps harden it. This can help deal with cracks or splits on the nail.
Also, it can lessen the risk of nail breaking or prevent it from further breaking.
Other nail products may also strengthen the nail when on, but can damage the nails on removal. The great thing about silk wraps is that they won’t damage the nail during the process of removal (assuming you do it correctly!)
Silk nail wraps will leave the nail looking and feeling better than they did before the application.
Lightweight And Breathable
If you hate the feeling of having thick nail extensions, then the silk wraps are for you. These are lightweight and breathable so you won’t really feel like your nails are suffocating. They are also thinner and are more flexible than other artificial nails or nail extension products.
Looks Like Natural Nails
If you are looking for a product that will simply strengthen your nail and won’t need it for design, silk nail wraps are a great choice. They look like natural fingernails even after you apply them so you don’t need to paint them or design them if you don’t want to.
That said, if you’re into nail are, you can easily design the silk wrap nails with regular nail polish. Add color, do nail art designs, or simply wear them like natural nails.
Effective Cosmetic Treatment Of Nails
Not only does the silk wrap strengthen the nail, but it also acts as an effective cosmetic treatment. If your nail has gone through various artificial nail extension sessions, it may look damaged when bare.
Silk wraps can help cover up the appearance of scratches or breaks on the nail. The wrap can also help cover up the discoloration of the nails so it will look like your natural nail, or it can also be painted over by your favorite polish.
Easy To Apply And Remove
Unlike other artificial nail extensions like SNS Nails, the silk wraps are easier to apply and remove. Silk Wraps doesn’t require a UV light Nail Lamp to apply. And you don’t need to soak your fingernails in acetone for a prolonged period of time to remove it.
You also don’t necessarily need to file it off the nails.
A detailed procedure on how it is put on and removed is found below.
The Cons of Silk Nail Wraps
Not As Tough As Other Nail Extensions
Due to the thinness and nature of the material, silk wrap nails are not as tough as other nail extensions like acrylics, gels, and dip powder nails. Although silk wraps are able to strengthen the nails, they aren’t as hard as a real fingernail. So there is still greater risk of breaking the nail compared to acrylics or gel.
Can Be Easily Removed Due To Moisture Exposure
Some people love that the silk wrap nails are easy to remove. But this can also be bad news for many!
If you tend to wash your hands often or if work involves frequent wetting of the hands and nails, then silk wraps are not for you.
The silk wraps will easily be removed with prolonged exposure to water.
Not A Very Popular Nail Service
Another point you may want to consider is the professional availability of this service. Some salons only offer more popular procedures like gel, acrylics, and lacquer.
It may be difficult to find salons that offer professional silk wraps, but you can do it at home on your own when you purchase silk wraps like the Supernail Swiss Self Adhesive Silk Wraps or the Soft Touch Dispense-A-Wrap System online.
Who’s Best Suited For Silk Wraps
Silk nail wraps are best for people who don’t want their nails to feel thicker and bulkier. It can be used to add a bit of length if the nails are too short. It’s a good choice for home use, as the tools are easily available online, and are easy to apply. But some professional salons don’t do silk wraps.
This manicure is also great for people who may be allergic to the acrylic or primer. It is recommended for the elderly, as they may have more sensitive skin and nails. It can be great for both the fingernails and the toenails. It especially helps with damaged toenails when they need to be repaired.
Many nail technicians also suggest this method for “transitioners” from acrylic nails who want to grow out their natural nails. The strengthening capabilities of silk wraps are perfect for these cases. Nails in these circumstances are relatively weaker than those who don’t have artificial nails. It is possible for their nails to break as they grow them out, but using silk wraps prevent this.
Also, those who are used to having acrylics may be used to not being very careful with their nails because acrylics are tough and can take some beating. On the other hand, that is a different story for natural nails. Reinforcing the nail while in transition provides protection to the natural nail as you get used to having natural nails instead of acrylics.
Lastly, anyone who has naturally weak nails or those who simply want to strengthen them because they are prone to stress cracks can use silk nail wraps. It is a beautiful way of strengthening the nails.
How To Apply Silk Nail Wraps
Silk wrap nails are simple and easy to apply. It takes several steps to do but such steps are simple enough that you can even do them on your own at home. Here are the steps on how to apply silk wrap nails:
- Prepare all the items you’ll need – For applying silk wraps on your nails you will need silk wraps, nail polish remover, nail trimmer, nail glue, nail file, cotton balls, sealing substance like the IBD Brush-On Gel Resin, and the compressing sheet.
- Clean the fingernails – Silk wraps are best applied to clean nails. Remove any nail polish, glue, or nail extension residue by using the nail polish remover. Also, you should trim your nails to the desired length and shape. Just don’t cut too close to the finger or it will be more difficult to apply the silk wrap.
- Prepare the nail surface – After cleaning the fingernails and shaping them, it’s time to prepare the surface. Use a nail file or electric nail drill to remove the shine on the fingernails. When the nail isn’t shiny anymore, it also means that the surface of the nail is somewhat rough. Be careful with a nail file and don’t overdo it because it can also damage your nail.
- Cut the silk wrap into the right size or shape – There are different silk wraps in the market but no matter what you get, you still need to cut it to size. Silk wraps like the one from KADS come in a roll that you have to cut depending on the nail size. Also, there are others like the ones from Jaeshay that are already cut into shape. All you have to do is find the right size and cut it to your desired length.
- Wrap the nail with the silk wrap – Most of the silk wraps available online already have an adhesive. All you need to do is to wrap them around your fingernail starting from the base to the tip. Make sure not to wrap over the cuticles. If your silk wrap isn’t the self-adhesive kind, then you need to apply some glue on the surface of the nail first before you stick and wrap the silk wraps.
- Add the sealing substance – You then apply the sealing substance (which is usually water-soluble) to the nail with the silk wrap. Once it is dry, the nail can now be buffed to make the surface smooth and even. Buffing it will also eliminate the possible bumps formed by the silk wraps.
- Paint the nails – Once the sealing substance is dry, it can now be painted with your choice of color or just a clear coat if you prefer.
How To Remove Silk Wrap Nails
Silk nail wraps are very easy to remove — easier than removing SNS Nails, certainly! In fact, they might come off when you always wet your fingernails or hands. This is because the sealant is usually water-soluble and by washing hands or getting in contact with water, the layer thins out.
If you used a resin over the silk wrap, removal can be more difficult. You should use an acetone-based nail polish remover. You can also use pure acetone to make it easier to remove.
Place the acetone solution in a bowl then soak your fingernails for about 2 minutes. Then use a cotton ball dipped into the acetone to gently wipe across the nail. The silk wrap will usually easily come off in this manner. If it doesn’t you need to repeat the soak for another 2 minutes until it comes off.
After removing the silk wraps, wash your hands in warm soapy water then rinse. Dry your hands with a towel then apply some hand lotion. It is best to heavily moisturize the fingertips and cuticle because acetone is drying. If you have some cuticle oil, applying it will help prevent possible damage due to the acetone.
Application And Removal Tips
Though silk wraps typically strengthen the nails, it’s possible that they can be damaged through improper technique. Here are some tips on how you can properly apply the silk wrap:
- Avoid Over-filing The Nail – Before you apply the silk wraps, you need to file the nail surface. This process removes excess oil on the nail surface so that the adhesive can work properly. You need to do this gently or you’ll end up damaging the nail surface.
- Don’t Use Too Much Glue – Too much glue or sealant won’t just be messy, it can also weaken the natural nail. Most manufacturers produce silk wraps that already have an adhesive on them so all you have to do is stick them in place. However, you should make sure the sealant you put over them isn’t too thick.
- Avoid Touching The Mesh With Bare Hands – Preparing the nail involves removing the oil from the surface so the adhesive will stick. By touching the wraps, you can deposit dirt and oils on them that can cause adhesion issues
- Don’t Cover The Cuticle – The best thing to do to prevent the silk wrap from going over the cuticle is to leave about a 1mm margin around it. Making sure the silk wrap doesn’t cover the cuticle makes the wrap last longer because you can avoid lifting.
- Don’t Simply Peel Off Silk Wraps – It may seem like the easiest thing to do to remove the silk wrap is to peel it off. But you should not! Silk wraps strengthen the nail and can be stronger than the natural nail, especially with the sealant. Peeling it off can lift the natural nail off the nail bed. That can provide a pathway for fungus to grow under the nail. Only pull off the silk wraps when the glue has already broken down after soaking the fingernails or fingers in nail polish remover.
How Long Do Silk Wraps Last?
Silk wraps are very effective in improving the strength and durability of your natural nails. Although they can be used to help those who have damaged nails, the wraps typically last for about 2 weeks.
If you are looking for a manicure that will last for more than 2 weeks, then you should find something more sturdy than silk wraps like gel or acrylic. But these have their own advantages and disadvantages as well.
Aftercare And Maintenance
The aftercare and maintenance are important when it comes to the lifespan of your silk wrap nails. If you don’t take proper care of your nails, then it’s unlikely they’ll last for the 2 weeks until infills are done. Here are a few tips on how to properly care for your silk wrap nails:
- Apply cuticle oil regularly to prevent the nails from drying.
- Protect your nails from moisture by wearing gloves while washing or cleaning.
- Don’t use the nails as tools. Even if they are strengthened, they can still break.
- Regularly push back cuticles. About once a week is a good schedule.
- Schedule for infills every 2 weeks.
Silk Wrap Infills
Silk wraps can last long and when paired with gel, acrylic or resin sealant, it can even last longer. Once you’ve grown a significant amount of natural nail, you can go for infills at the salon or you can also do it on your own.
The first thing that you should do is to make sure your hands are clean. Then sanitize the nails you’ll be working on. The cuticles should also be pushed so that you can see the length of the silk wrap that you have to use.
Remove the shine on the nail by filing it gently. Wipe off the powdery substance due to the filing with a lint-free sheet. This will prevent any fibers from getting stuck under the silk wrap.
Apply the adhesive on the nail and place the silk wrap over it. You may also use the ones that already have a self-adhesive. Once the silk wrap is already in place and the adhesive is already dry, you can now add the sealant.
Once the sealant is dry, you can buff the nails then apply a final coat of colored or clear polish or design them as you wish.
Silk wrap nails are a great way to strengthen the nails. It is a manicure procedure that has seen a significant resurgence over the past few years. Ideally made for shorter nails, it helps make the nails remain durable while keeping a beautiful, natural look.
Like any other nail manicure procedure, Silk Wraps have their pros and cons. More and more salons offer this kind of service, but not all. However, you can easily do it on your own by following the procedure above.
Removing them is also simple and easy. You only have to use an acetone-based nail polish remover. Just be cautious and follow the instructions for removal to avoid nail damage.
If you want to make sure your silk wrap nails last, then you also have to know how to properly care for them after getting them. A few things you should remember to do is to apply cuticle oil daily to keep them moisturized. Protecting them against moisture and carefully using your nails also helps them last.