There are over 20,000 listings for “shampoo” on Amazon. It’s a lot to dig through in order to find the right brand for your locks!
According to reviews, Dove shampoo makes the list of those brands considered moisturizing, gentle, nourishing, and gentle, but there are facts that users need to get right.
Is Dove shampoo good for your hair?
In this article, we deep dive into the shampoo’s various ingredients, their formulas, and how well it works on various hair types.
Read on to establish if switching to Dove shampoo would be brilliant or a blunder!
About Dove Shampoo
Owned by Unilever, Dove is a global beauty enterprise with a mission to develop a wide array of body and hair care products to celebrate and support unique, authentic beauty.
The brand’s attributes include gentle cleansing, mild fragrance, and nourishing moisture. But how well does their shampoo work on different hair textures?
Dove manufactures a diverse range of shampoo formulas for different hair textures. You can never go wrong with Dove shampoo options, from gentle sulfate-free formulas designed for color-treated or damaged hair to moisturizing shampoos for chronically dry hair.
Let’s look at the different categories of Dove shampoo you’re likely to find online and in drugstores.
Types of Dove Shampoo
Even when you’re narrowing down just to Dove shampoo, there are a lot to choose from. It’s still confusing!
Some of the different types of Dove shampoo include:
- Moisturizing Shampoo: This brand makes over ten moisturizing shampoos to suit different hair textures. These formulas have extra doses of hydration and moisture for thirsty scalps
- and strands.
- Thickening and Volumizing Shampoo: Over the years, Dove has produced around four shampoos targeting fine, thinning, or limp hair. The formulas are formulated to lift your hair while thickening it with fullness.
- Anti-dandruff Shampoo: Dove’s anti-dandruff shampoo formulas target concerns such as itching, scalp irritation, and flaking. Each one of the formulas eliminates a different additional concern, such as itchiness and dryness.
- Anti-frizz and Smoothing Shampoo: Dove has three shampoos that help calm flyaways and frizz while giving your hair a vibrant and smooth hue. You might want to try this category if you have coarse, rough, or curly hair.
- Sulfate-free Shampoo: The revered beauty brand makes this formula for users trying to shift from harsh sulfates. You will find over ten Dove formulas targeting various hair concerns such as dandruff, dryness, and damage repair.
- The Two-In-One Shampoo + Conditioner: If you prefer handling conditioning and cleansing in one step, this two-in-one shampoo & conditioner is the way to go.
Finding the Right Dove Shampoo
Knowing that shampoos are made uniquely, choosing Dove shampoo formula that suits your hair type is important. While choosing the wrong shampoo won’t result in disaster, it could be the start of several bad hair days.
While choosing the wrong shampoo won’t result in disaster, it could be the start of several bad hair days.
For instance, a moisturizing shampoo would easily weigh down oily hair, while on dry hair, it would do just fine.
Best Shampoo for Dry Hair: Dove DermaCare Scalp Coconut & Hydration Shampoo
- New Dove DermaCare Scalp Coconut &...
- Leaves hair feeling nourished and...
- Dry scalp shampoo that hydrates scalp...
- Fresh coconut & sweet lime scented Dove...
- Pyrithione Zinc Dove dandruff shampoo...
With positive reviews on the official Dove website and Amazon, the Dove DermaCare Scalp Coconut & Hydration Shampoo is the best pick for dry hair. This deeply moisturizing formula smells like sweet lime and coconut and is pH balanced to promote a better scalp and healthier hair.
In addition, it leaves your hair soft and easy to manage.
The formula also has pyrithione zinc as an ingredient to eliminate dandruff and flakes that are attributed to dryness. So if you have chronically dry hair, this is definitely worth checking out!
Best Shampoo for Dyed Hair:
Thanks to its damage-repairing ability and sulfate-free formula, dyed hair can benefit from this Dove shampoo. The formula is made to help maintain your color vibrancy and depth. It does this for nearly eight weeks as it repairs the micro-damage from harsh hair color.
The formula contains scalp-nourishing rosemary extracts and natural fragrances to give you a light yet fragrant washing experience. It is recommended for those looking to maintain new hair colors and repair the damage from the coloring process.
Best Shampoo for Frizz hair: Dove Anti-Frizz Oil Therapy Shampoo
- Unique, weightless blend or argan,...
- Leaves hair soft and manageable
- Nourishes to smooth roughness and...
- Revives dry, rough and frizzy hair
- Replenishes your hair's essential...
The formula includes oil and extra moisturizers to smooth out and reduce frizz, leaving behind sleek and soft hair. In addition, combining mineral oil, argan oil, and sweet almond oil eliminates the frizz and locks moisture into your hair.
Remember that this is a heavier formula and therefore isn’t recommended for oily or fine hair. It might wear down your hair.
Are Dove Shampoos Safe?
Generally, Dove’s hair care products are safe to use. The brand has eliminated the following from its products in a bid to make them more safe, natural, and beneficial:
- Phthalates: These are chemicals that increase plastic flexibility and durability
- Triclosan: An antibacterial ingredient that alters hormone levels and leads to antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- Coal tar: A carcinogen that is sometimes used in the place of pyrithione zinc to treat dandruff.
At the moment, Dove is also working on eliminating any ingredients that could potentially cause any irritations or side effects. Such ingredients include lilial, formaldehyde, parabens, and formaldehyde donors.
Is Dove Shampoo Cruelty-Free?
We are thrilled to see that Dove is in fact cruelty-free, and is certified by PETA! This is fairly unusual for large brands, and we give Unilever/Dove big props for achieving this.
Is Dove Shampoo Good For Your Hair?
Dove Shampoo is unlikely to be able to compete with higher-end shampoos with better ingredients lists. However, if we are compare them against other popular drugstore hair brands, these shampoos rank quite highly! There are several formulas for various hair issues, many of the most problematic ingredients are missing, and the shampoo is earth-friendly.
This shampoo is considered a great choice for affordable hair care, and the high ratings say it all.
That said, if you are on a strict hair care regimen, it is always important to read the labels on the Dove products before using them.
Does Dove Shampoo Cause Hair Loss?
There are many reports online that users of dove shampoo have hair loss, particularly from their anti-dandruff line. But there are no concrete studies or investigations of the connection between Dove shampoo and hair loss.
The problem is that lots of people lose hair for lots of reasons, and it can be hard to pin down causality.
If you suspect Dove shampoo is causing hair loss for you, you should certainly stop using it. But it’s not clear that there’s evidence that this occurs on any large scale.
To summarize, Dove shampoo is a great and affordable option for all hair textures. Dove tries to make all its products safe for the body and devoid of harmful ingredients such as coal tar and anti-bacterial that could result in irritation.
If you are looking for a low-cost, gentle and effective shampoo with a range of formulas to suit your hair needs, Dove may be your go-to brand.