Putting on your makeup each morning can take a long time, especially if you like a lot of makeup. And that’s not considering the amount of time you may have to spend touching it up throughout the day.
How long does makeup last on your face?
Makeup manufacturers have made great strides in creating makeup to last longer. Yet, as most makeup users would know, the difference between makeup with “long-lasting” signs is often different from regular makeup.
Good quality makeup can last for anywhere from 12 – 16 hours on your face depending on a few factors such as:
- The ingredients used in the makeup composition
- The condition of your skin
- The application process for your makeup
In this article, we’ll find out how long the different types of makeup last on your face. As well as provide a few ways to help make it last longer.
How Long Does Makeup Last on Your Face? How Long Can Eyeshadow Last?
Starting at the top, eyeshadow can generally last from six to eight hours on your eyelids if applied properly.
A few ways that can help your eyeshadow last longer include:
- Use a primer on your eyelid as this will help the eyeshadow stick to the eyelid better and with less creasing.
- If you’re not a fan of primer, then concealer can work just as well.
- Try wetting your brush slightly before application. Water may help spread the eyeshadow more evenly.
- Finally, you could try using a setting spray, which can be used on other makeup as well.
How Long Can Lipstick Last?
Like eyeshadow, good lipstick can last between six to eight hours. They are, however, more likely to last much less since your lips are usually exposed to more contact in a day.
Eating, drinking, smoking, and licking are all actions your lips may encounter in a short time. Each action is likely to contribute to your lipstick being removed sooner.
Generally, lipstick users are advised to exfoliate their lips with a sugar scrub or something similar. Exfoliated lips can help lipstick last up to 2 hours longer. Lipstick generally has a shelf life of between 12 – 18 months. Be sure to check the expiry date. Expired lipstick will not last long when used, and may even cause allergic reactions.
Exfoliated lips can help lipstick last up to 2 hours longer. Lipstick generally has a shelf life of between 12 – 18 months.
How Long Does Blush Last?
Blush can usually last up to two years, provided it does not come in contact with liquids. Blush generally lasts only for around 2 – 4 hours on your face.
This is because several reasons, including:
- Natural skin exfoliation
- Exposure to weather conditions
- Exposure to surfaces such as clothes or hands
For many makeup users, blush can be the most frustrating bit of makeup to correct throughout the day. It needs decent lighting as well a fair amount of inspection to determine which parts need a little touch-up.
For many makeup users, blush can be the most frustrating bit of makeup to correct throughout the day.
Here are some steps to help get your blush to last longer:
- Maintain a good moisturizing regime – Dry, damaged, and oily skin does not absorb makeup well. Cleansing and moisturizing will allow the makeup to stick better to your face and reduce falling off easily.
- Use a good quality primer – Primer will give you a smoother base to work on and even help color any spots or blemishes.
- Use a liquid foundation – This also gives your makeup a better chance of sticking to your skin. It absorbs more color, thereby giving your face a more vibrant look
- Layer your makeup – Layering helps blend your makeup and gives your face a unique and healthy glow.
How Long Does Bronzer Last?
Finally, we consider your bronzer. These types of powered makeup last up to 8 hours on your face and up to 2 years on the shelf.
Much like the other forms of makeup mentioned above, bronzer is likely to last the longest when used in conjunction with a quality primer.
Applying makeup is a daily process for men and women across the world. Getting your makeup to last longer relies on two main factors, namely the quality of the product and the state of your skin.
Well moisturized and hydrated skin creates a smooth surface for your makeup. This will make it stick better and longer. Adding a primer to your makeup regime is an excellent way to make your makeup last longer.
Keeping your makeup on for longer can be great. But it’s important to ensure that you do not allow your skin to be overexposed to harsher types of makeup, such as oil-based products.
Prolonged exposure to these products is bad for your skin and will be counterproductive in the long run.
And don’t forget that you have to take off your make-up before bed!