Whether you have a pair of naturally beautiful eyes or a perfectly shaped smile, these elements can make all the difference in how you present yourself and your self-confidence. Eyelash extensions undoubtedly draw attention to your eyes, whether for a subtle, natural appearance or a dramatic, bold mega volume!
They can make all the difference. But how long does the process take?
How long do eyelash extensions take to apply?
- It takes 90 to 120 minutes to apply a full set of classic eyelash extensions
- There is a 120-180 minute wait time for a full set of volume eyelash extensions
- Depending on the extension type, a refill can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes
The time it takes to apply extensions will vary due to whether you get full sets or infills. You can speed up the process with some preparation at home.
Read on to find out how long it will take to get yours done and what exactly is involved.
Why It Takes Longer for Full Sets to Be Applied
A complete set of extensions consists of somewhere in the range of 60-80 individual hairs per eye. The same steps will have to be repeated 60 to 80 times for each eye!
A complete set of extensions consists of 60-80 individual hairs per eye.
These are the steps required to apply a full set of lashes.
- One hand is used to isolate the lashes of the natural eye
- The other hand is used to select the extension
- The extension is then dipped in lash glue
- That lash extension is applied carefully to your natural lash
It’s a painstaking process!
The steps above seem easy, but in reality, it’s not as simple as it seems. For example, natural lashes can be weak, have gaps, or even have lash mites.
And there is some aftercare you need to remember, which should be spelled out by your lash tech. The most important thing is to avoid water for the first 48 hours or so. Use shower goggles for the first few days, as advised by your tech.
How Long Do Lash Extensions Last?
You will need to get your eyelash extensions between 2-4 weeks before your lashes are shed. It will take approximately 5-6 weeks before all of them shed. This depends on your lash cycle and how you care for your lashes.
The fact that everyone’s lashes are living things that shed and experience a life cycle may surprise you.
Natural lashes fall out once their life cycle is complete, and the extension also falls out. There is no one-size-fits-all regarding lash cycles. But on average, your natural lashes should turn over every six weeks.
To maintain your lash extensions, it’s recommended that you have them filled approximately every two to four weeks. New lashes will have grown at this point, and some lashes will have fallen out. These fallen extensions are carefully replaced with fresh ones during an infill appointment.
Properly maintaining your lashes will ensure that they will continue to look beautiful for as long as possible. Some clients don’t need infills for four weeks! Infills are usually needed more frequently if your skin is very oily.
Properly maintaining your lashes will ensure that they will continue to look beautiful for as long as possible.
What Is the Average Length of a Consultation?
You’ll need a few minutes to get oriented before you start your lash lift. There will likely be a a pre-application consultation with your stylist that will last for around 10 minutes. Before proceeding with the application of the lash extensions. You’ll likely need to fill out some forms and go over some parameters before you begin.
As part of your consultation, you’ll have the chance to ask questions, express your style preferences, and describe what you’re looking for. Alternatively, if you are unsure, your lash stylist can provide you with an analysis of your face, make recommendations and create a look that suits your facial features, the shade of eyes, skin tone, etc.
This is very important! You’ll end up with a better look at the end if you spend more time getting things right before you start.
As part of this process, your natural lashes will be assessed, including their condition and the duration of their growth. It will help to determine the appropriate length, curl, and width for your eyelash extensions.
The specialist will measure the length of your natural eyelashes in millimeters, allowing your stylist to know which extensions are appropriate for your natural eyelashes.
What Is the Turnaround Time for Infills?
As a long-term wearer of lash extensions, it’s expected that you will have to return for infills approximately every two to three weeks. As part of this procedure, the technician will remove the damaged or grown-out extensions and replace them with the ones you are missing to restore you to the full set of extensions.
There aren’t as many lashes to apply as with the initial set, so this process doesn’t take as long.
Typically a salon will charge a base amount for infills, which differs based on the set and the time since your last infill. However, the price may differ from the base amount and may be adjusted based on how many lashes you have lost.
When paying for your current service, booking your next appointment is typical so you can keep everything rolling.
How to Save Time When Getting Extensions Done
It’s important to make the most of your time since time is valuable to everyone involved. Make sure your full set and infill appointments stay on schedule by following these steps:
- Don’t drink coffee before your appointment (nooo!) You may feel jittery and experience eye twitching. In this way, eyelash extensions are more challenging to apply and, as a result, they will take more time.
- Make sure your lashes are clean! Ensure the eye area is free of makeup and lotions. Avoid mascara and eyeliner around the eyes and foundation. There must be no dirt or debris around or on the eyes. During the application, be prepared for more time and fewer lashes.
- It’s time to escape! Before your appointment, make sure your cell phone is turned off. The sound of a phone or a text message can ruin your relaxed state and lengthen your appointment (or decrease the number of lashes you have).
- Make sure your personal business is taken care of! If you need a drink, need to access the “facilities,” or need to send an urgent communication, do it before you arrive at your appointment.
The process of applying a set of lash extensions is going to take somewhere in the range of 2-3 hours, depending on what you choose and how prepared you are.
But on the other hand, you’ll have luscious lashes that make your eyes pop for weeks!